The Minnesota Baby Boomer study is in! Ecumen , Minnesota's largest non-profit senior housing company, surveyed 564 random boomers across the state of Minnesota via professional telephone interviewers.
A few of my own observations. You've heard Boomers are all about image? Well here are a few stats that just might support that stereotype:
- Nearly 80% prefer the term "life-care community" to "nursing home"
- 59% prefer the name "community with services" to "assisted living"
- 93% say they will live in a home rather than rent (not if senior housing in Minnesota stays the way it is now. There aren't a lot of options to own in senior communities as they are defined today)
This one doesn't make any sense-52% of Boomers said they'd like to live in a rural setting, but 99% say they want easy access to health care, 91% want easy access to shopping, 90% want easy access to transportation. Rural communities don't typically have all those things. Even more confusing to me, 93% feel that municipalities should build senior housing closer to community amenities. Hunh. Show me a rural farm on a bus line. Doesn't happen. Anyways,
Check out this report to see how Boomers feel about:
- Longevity and images of aging
- Words We Use
- Care Options and Paying for Them
- Where They'll Live
- Working as a Senior
- Civic Engagement