There's something wrong with an industry that hides from its consumers.
For example, if you Google "Minnesota Senior Housing" here's what you'll find:
- Senior Resource.com- I've been on this website a number of times. It has some great resources. But, since they aren't located in Minnesota, the resources aren't complete for our geographic area.
- Retirement Homes.com-There are a few Minnesota senior housing options listed, primarily Sunrise Assisted Living. This is a far cry from a full list of housing options for our elderly.
- The Senior Housing Guide and the Senior Housing Directory (Senior Housing, Inc.) are both listed. The Senior Housing Directory is something I give to consumers for free. It's a fantastic resource. These are paper directories of Twin Cities senior housing that range from independent living to nursing home care. Unfortunately they aren't online.
- Senior Outlook.com is listed-again they aren't based in Minnesota, and they don't have a full listing of housing options. But, to their credit they've got more entries than other websites.
- Then, there's my favorite: The senior-community.net. They have 2, TWO! senior communities listed. They also give you a 1-800 number to call to get help if you're looking for senior housing.
Many of the senior housing communities in the Twin Cities have beautiful websites. However, they face the challenge of being found on the Internet with billions of other websites. They each have their own independent website that might even have 10 pages. But, they are competing against the larger websites chuck full of information for consumers. This would be just like me advertising a home for sale with a one page website, sitting back and just hoping someone will find it.
This is the primary reason I get calls every week from adult children of aging parents who are trying to look for housing on the Internet, but can't find it.
I've put my time, energy and money where my mouth is. I'm working on a website that will allow you to search for Minnesota Senior Housing. It will formally launch with lots of helpful consumer information, but in the mean time, it's a resource for you as you prepare to help your parents move.
Related Blog Posts